Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Declan McLaughlin writes

Too Late

I appear overhead, staring astonishingly below,

the redness violating the blond flocked flow.

Pain etched across the once innocent, but worn complexion,

23 years I feel, far too short of a section.

Moving freely to study closer, glimpsing at the familiar,

until a door crashes in and interrupts my similar.



The shrieks and screams deafening, somebody warn her,

I shuffle back to the safety of the corner.

An old lady enters shocked to the core, she drops to her knees,

from this point onwards, her heart will begin to freeze.

The 3 men surround both old and young, all inconsolable in grief,

gently holding and fixing her hair, closing the eyes of disbelief.



The grey old lady prays aloud, perhaps to turn back the fate,

the blood in the bath illustrates this is much too late.

I wander easily around, gazing at the distorted faces,

an urgent plea in me, wishes to grant all their graces.

This is not how I imagined my pain free end,

the scale of the scene dawns, I start to comprehend.



All of this carnage from one little razor,

how tormented they must feel, ‘nothing could faze her’.

Overhead, staring agonisingly down, the time seems so slow,

it is my family I see hugging my lifeless body below.

Oh to turn back time, to that moment of madness,

my life I have given, for that addictive sadness.



My family is heartbroken, now I know that feeling,

you see my addiction, it truly was a master at concealing.

I have no more words, for I am in disbelief too,

staring at my lifeless body, thinking of the life I had yet to do.

I must go now and take in my new surreal,

but world pay heed, destructive addictions can be this real.



Bathtub Suicide

1 comment:

  1. Each of the objects in the Object Ethnography Project has been donated by an ordinary person. Each object has a story. Some discuss the history of the object, why it has meaning to the donor, or why the donor chose to part with their object.

    --Max Liboiron

    "I started dating a web designer in 2009. He told me he had majored in Photography and Studio Art, so I asked to see his photos from college. This photo, ‘Bathtub Suicide’, was one of a series of gothic/horror scenes that he designed and photographed, and it won a big award at his final show. He was unsure about showing it to me because of the less-than-seemly content, but I completely fell in love with the photo. He had it framed for me and it hung in my bathroom for a year and a half. It doubled as a great piece of art and a precautionary warning not to get too overwhelmed by working for my Ph.D."

    ReplyDelete