Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Nina S. Padolf writes


Love Is Not As Clean As A Hospital Room
(For my biological Mother, Sally)

On this day, my birthday, I smell honeysuckle crisp air
while I sip my coffee. The owl’s low pitched echo
settles, as doves peek in.

Love is not as clean as a hospital room.
Sally left bare armed, like that hollow spot
where roots bulge with secrets.

She was abandoned by her mother and missing lover.
Sally’s pain stayed woven like spider webs
that keep the captive dangling.

Forced to celebrate my birth in silence.
She never talked about it until
I turned nineteen and sent out for
my original birth certificate.

Her name and age revealed
along with my birth name: nothing remotely like my current name.
For my father’s name, only an empty space.

We met downtown with her husband, Bob.
She tells me, I was her first born.
My biological father was engaged to someone else.

She shows me pictures of my half siblings,
we exchange numbers and addresses.
She sends me cards for the holidays
and letters over the years.
We keep in touch even after I marry and move away.

My siblings grow up and have children of their own
and my girls and I wonder why our names are not noted in her
obituary.

The mother dove heads closer reminds me to stay away
from her nest, tucked in the upper corner of my porch,
where bricks separate homes.

I pause -- feel the morning rest
then unrest--
think of Sally and how cancer took her away
on the last day of October.
I unfold her letters
while the dove sings.
Music has no borders.
Visitation of the Mourning Doves
Visitation of the Mourning Doves -- Lynn Randolph

1 comment:

  1. kopiene klokker til salgs, kombinerer elegant stil og banebrytende teknologi, en rekke stiler på kopiene klokker iwc til salgs, går pekeren mellom din eksklusive smaksstil.

    ReplyDelete