Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2019

G.R. Melvin writes


T H E     W A I T I N G
.
.
I couldn't keep my shirt on
I actually had a hand at the door
I wouldn't wait for the EKG guy
.
The express lines were full up at the IGA.
So was the cart in front of me, the one in my way.
My body required liquids I needed to buy.
& me, I wouldn't wait for the EKG guy
.
My car needed work (I see I did too, OK?)
Ever still again, Time stalled & would stay.
Never, "Our time is up for today"
I'd bet Time's a fleeting debt, not a gift.
I about bolted but my Ford's on the lift.

.You'd think a man with wait issues
Would shy away some
From a long-distance love, he could only see some.
How he'd wait & wait for her laugh on the phone
How he'd wait & wait for her letters to come
How he'd wait & wait for liaisons alone
How he'd wait & wait for a time all their own.



 
.The Waiting -- chriseastmids

1 comment:

  1. IGA is the Independent Grocers Alliance, a franchise of hundreds of independently owned stores organized into a single marketing system. It was started by J. Frank Grimes in 1926.

    An EKG is an electrocardiogram which records the heart's electrical activity. Electrodes detect small electrical changes due to muscle depolarization and repolarization during each heartbeat. John Burdon-Sanderson discovered that the interval between frog heartbeats was not electrically quiescent, and August Waller invented an ECK machine in 1887. But it was not until 1901 that Willem Einthoven developed the 1st practical model; he began his work in the area in 1895, and then in the 20th century he completed a series of string galvanometer prototypes that used a thin filament of conductive wire between strong electromagnets. When a current passed through the filament it created a magnetic field which would cause the string to move, and a light would cast a shadow on a moving roll of photographic paper showing that movement. He received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1924 "for the discovery of the mechanism of the electrocardiogram."

    ReplyDelete